Happy Monday everybody! I hope everyone had a great weekend. I thought I would share an old classic with a very interesting twist. We were at a garage sale about 4 months ago at my aunt’s place getting rid of what I call “JUNK” and my aunt’s neighbor brought over a little treat. Large homemade rice krispie squares, but not just plain rice krispie squares… they were chalked full of trail mix and smarties.
I sunk my teeth in to one of those and was very surprised at just how yummy they were. I will be honest with you, I never used to jump up and down over regular rice krispie squares before…. but these were delicious.
So needless to say I had to give these a whirl. I whipped these up on Saturday before dinner. Let me know what you think!
- 50 mL 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 250 g, 1 pkg (about 40) regular marshmallows or 5 cups miniature
- 2 mL 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 Cup (250 ml) Trail Mix
- 1/4 Cup Smarties
- 1.5 L 6 cups RICE KRISPIES* cereal
- Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat.
- Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Stir in KELLOGG’S* RICE KRISPIES* cereal until well coated.
- Stir in Trail MIx and Smarties.
- Using lightly buttered spatula, press into buttered 3.5 L (13 x 9″) pan.
- Allow mixture to cool. Cut into bars.
- Best if served same day.
Zesty Tip: When making these squares it is essential you have everything measured out and act quickly as the mashmallow mixture will quickly become like glue. Also, do not forget to butter your spatula before pressing down the squares.
I hope you enjoy this little treat and I would love to know what you add in your rice krispie squares when you make them? Let me know in the comments.
Have a great Monday!