Happy Monday! Life seems to be back to normal, holiday season is behind us, regular work days are back in order. How is everyone doing? Hopefully everyone’s new years resolutions are still on track – I feel I am having a pretty good start to the new year so all is positive.
Remember last week when it was all about pork? With the pork chop pot roast and the old fashion baked beans? Well, it is hard to have homemade beans without some sort of homemade bread to dip into them. With that said, I whipped up a batch of whole wheat biscuits with butter that worked just fine.
Pretty simple recipe and the flavor of the whole wheat flour was very nice. Usually for biscuits – I am a white flour kind of guy but I will be honest, these biscuits were really tasty.
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp. Baking powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. White sugar
- 1/3 Cup Butter
- 1 Cup Milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Gradually stir in milk until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Turn out onto a floured surface, and knead 15 to 20 times. Pat or roll dough out to 1 inch thick. Cut biscuits with a large cutter or juice glass dipped in flour. Repeat until all dough is used.
- Brush off the excess flour, and place biscuits onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges begin to brown.
Zesty Tip: Warm the milk in the microwave before adding to the dry ingredients ( Momma zesty told me that). I always like to rub the tops with some left over milk as well prior to cooking to help the tops become golden brown. If you have buttermilk… even better.
Another biscuit story… Have you ever heard of frozen butter biscuits? Apparently Michael Smith does a recipe with frozen butter where he shaves it into the batter and they turn out amazing. These are next on my biscuit list! Did I ever tell you I love biscuits? Have a manic monday and I will see you all for the hump of the week.